Practical information and personal preparation

  • +

    How to apply for an advance credit transfer

    You must apply for an advance credit transfer before you leave to study abroad.

    • Choose the study programme and/or courses that you want to follow at the foreign university in cooperation with your academic adviser.
    • Apply for advance credit transfer at your study board. This is to ensure that you will get credit transfer for your foreign stay when you return to AAU.
    • You must choose courses which add up to a semester: 30 ECTS or equivalent. However it is a good idea to choose more courses that you actually need as it happens that a course falls through.
    • Examine if your study board has a special form which you need to fill in. If not, make your own application. In both cases remember to enclose detailed description of the courses you are going to follow.
    • Also examine if there are deadlines for applying for advance credit transfer.

    Note that credit transfer of your study activities abroad is a requirement for obtaining financial support from the various support schemes related to student exchange.

    Be aware that the approval that the study board will give is a preliminary approval, which must be finally confirmed when you return to AAU after your stay abroad.

    Therefore, any intended changes in your foreign study programme must be discussed with your academic adviser as well as your study board beforehand. This is to make sure that you will not be faced with any problems when the final approval will take place at your return to AAU.

    After your return, you must send or hand in documentation to the study board to prove that you have followed your foreign study programme and activities as planned, and that you have fulfilled the requirements on which you have received the preliminary approval. This documentation will be issued by your host university and can vary a lot from university to university as to design and content.


    Find your study board

    Contact your study secretary in regards to the pre-approved credit transfer application process.

  • +

    Do you have to take a language test?

    In most cases the partner university does require a language test. However if a language test is required by the foreign university you will need to meet this demand. It is your responsibility to sign up for the test at the appropriate time. The most common tests are TOEFL and IELTS.

    If you are not supposed to take a language test this Reference Form can be used as proof of your English abilities. Must be signed by your supervisor.

    There are special requirements for Erasmus+ students: Erasmus+ Online Language Assessment and Courses

  • +

    Do you need a visa?

    Be sure to check early on with the embassy or consulate of your destination country for any requirements you may need to meet to enter your destination, and also to reside there for the duration of your study stay or internship. Make sure to resolve all affairs related to this matter prior to your stay abroad.

    Furthermore, you need to check with the responsible registration authorities where you are registered, to find out what you need to, do to be allowed to re-enter Denmark after your stay abroad has ended.

  • +

    Do not forget to take out insurance

    It is your own responsibility to be covered by proper insurances during your stay abroad. Aalborg University has no insurances which covers students going abroad.

    We strongly recommend that you are covered in terms of the following insurances:

    • Sickness/health (both physical and mental diseases)
    • Liability 
    • Accident
    • Baggage


    Studying abroad in Europe through the Erasmus+ programme

    When you go abroad with the Erasmus+ programme to study it is a requirement that you are covered by at least a health insurance.

    Concerning the health insurance: If you are an EU citizen you may already have the blue EU Health Insurance Card, but please note the following:

    The blue card gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.

    The card is issued by your national health insurance provider.

    Important information regarding the European Health Insurance Card:

    • it is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property,
    • it does not cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment,
    • it does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different; services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.

    We recommend you contact your private insurance company to ensure that you are covered appropriately or take out the insurances with another insurance company (see the list below)


    Studying abroad outside Europe

    In most countries outside Europe it is not possible for foreigners to have any public health insurance at all. You should take out private insurance (health, liability and accident).

    We recommend you contact your private insurance company to ensure that you are covered appropriately or take out the insurances with the company or another insurance company, e.g.:

  • +

    Are vaccinations needed?

    If you are in doubt whether you need vaccinations before going abroad, please contact your doctor.

  • +


    If you are going to a university with which AAU has a cooperation agreement, the host institution is usually responsible for providing accommodation. Often, you will have to apply for accommodation at the same time as you apply for admission to the university. In some cases you will not receive the accommodation papers before you have been accepted as a student.

    If you are going to a university with which AAU has no cooperation agreement, you should find out whether the university has any student accommodation. If it does, the university will have an accommodation office, which can help you find a place to live. If the university does not have any student accommodation, you should ask your contact person at the foreign university as early as possible to help you find accommodation.

  • +


    You do not have to pay tax on grants that you have received for study or a traineeship period abroad, provided that you use your grant for the intended purpose and can provide proof of this.

  • +

    Avoid lapse of your Danish Residence Permit

    Note that your Danish residence permit will automatically lapse if you no longer have a residence in Denmark - that is, if you are no longer registered at a Danish address in the Central Office of Civil Registration (CPR office).

    The Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment provides more information on how and when to apply for dispensation to prevent your residency permit from lapsing.

  • +

    Expect a culture shock

    Living and studying in another culture is both exciting and challenging. It is important to realise that as the foreigner, you are the one who has the most adjusting to do and the more you can do now to prepare yourself, the better.

    Even if you travelled in your host country, it is important to realise that the study and learning culture (study abroad) or professional culture - including etiquette, language, and ideas of punctuality (internship abroad) may be quite a bit different than what you encountered as a tourist!

    Be sure to set aside time and do some thorough research so you are well prepared. However, note that it is important to realise that no matter how much you prepare, there will be misunderstandings, communication issues, and challenges along the way. While they may be frustrating at the time, they are also the best lessons in culture! Keep an open mind, be observant, and ask questions and you will learn more than you thought possible.


    Read our guide on culture shock

  • +

    Travel advise

    • We strongly recommend that you keep yourself updated on the situation of the country you are visiting by checking your home country’s travel advices. Should such information not be accessible, please visit e.g carrying up-to-date travel advice for over 200 countries.
    • Keep away from all kinds of demonstrations, also peaceful ones, and heated situations.
    • Follow the advice of the authorities in your host country.

    • Cyber security when travelling; Please check or similar pages.

    • Be aware of suspicious behaviour / activies you encounter. University students can be a target for recruiting by foreign intelligence service and attempt on industrial espionage. Always trust your instincts.

    • Be aware of the rules for taking medicines containing controlled drugs to another country.