Study Abroad without an agreement

How to go about when you want to study abroad without an agreement

If you wish to go abroad for a study stay at an educational institution with which Aalborg University has not entered a student exchange cooperation agreement, you must contact the institution yourself and organise your stay. When doing this, there are a number of matters you should be aware of;

  • Misunderstandings can easily arise due to cultural differences, other traditions and not the least the language
  • You will have to pay tuition fee
  • You often get to talk to and correspond with many different people with different knowledge and skills, which can also result in entanglements and subsequently delays

it is a good idea to:

  • Start well ahead of time – preferably one year before your planned time of departure
  • Never take anything for granted. People do many things differently in other countries. Make sure that the information you get is correct and that you have not misunderstood anything
  • Make sure that you have at least one or two contact persons at the foreign university to whom you can refer when writing or calling the university.
  • Below you will find some suggestions as to where to obtain information about other educational institutions than those Aalborg University cooperates with in relation to student exchange;


The teachers or the department with which you are affiliated often have research or teaching related contacts with a number of foreign universities.



The embassies in Denmark can provide you with addresses and information about the universities in their specific country.



At the libraries you can find reference books with information on foreign educational institutions as well as handbooks on grants, scholarships etc.


Advance credit transfer

You must apply for an advance credit transfer before you leave to study abroad.

  • Choose the study programme and/or courses that you want to follow at the foreign university in cooperation with your academic adviser.
  • Apply for advance credit transfer at your study board. This is to ensure that you will get credit transfer for your foreign stay when you return to AAU.
  • You must choose courses which add up to a semester: 30 ECTS or equivalent. However it is a good idea to choose more courses that you actually need as it happens that a course falls through.
  • Examine if your study board has a special form which you need to fill in. If not, make your own application. In both cases remember to enclose detailed description of the courses you are going to follow.
  • Also examine if there are deadlines for applying for advance credit transfer.


Note that credit transfer of your study activities abroad is a requirement for obtaining financial support from the various support schemes related to student exchange.

Be aware that the approval the study board will give is a preliminary approval, which must be finally confirmed when you return to AAU after your stay abroad.

Therefore, any intended changes in your foreign study programme must be discussed with your academic adviser as well as your study board beforehand. This is to make sure that you will not be faced with any problems when the final approval will take place at your return to AAU.

After your return, you must send or hand in documentation to the study board to prove that you have followed your foreign study programme and activities as planned, and that you have fulfilled the requirements on which you have received the preliminary approval. This documentation will be issued by your host university and can vary a lot from university to university as to design and content.